Franz Stelzhamer (1802 - 1874) is considered the most important representative of Upper Austrian vernacular literature. In 1911 he was dedicated a monument that was created by sculptor Anton Gerhart.
In the course of the years, several different names were given to this Square: First it was called "The Upper Square" while from 1626 onwards it was named "Tandler Market" for the surrounding junk shops. When the original Gothic Hospital Church became a theater, the square was designated as "Theater Square" until the theater was demolished in 1892. For almost three decades it was named "Wood Square" until the Stelzhamer Monument was erected on the Square and finally gave it the name of the famous poet.
Franz Stelzhamer was born in Großpiesenham near Pramet and lived in Ried from 1845 to 1851 and in 1855. Here he composed "D´Ahnl", one of the works that marked his breakthrough. What´s more, Franz Stelzhamer wrote the words of the Upper Austrian anthem.