Ried became an Independent parish after it split from the mother parish of Mehrnbach in the 14th century. The Gothic style of the previous building can still be seen in the base of the church tower and in the buttresses of the presbytery. The Parish Church of St Peter and St Pail was given its present form after catastrophic storm damage in 1929. The interior surprises the visito with the wide barrel vault over the nave, which is uniformly decorated with stucco in the regency style. Each of the eight chapels was once dedicated to loal guilds, which were also responsible for their furnishings. The interior furnishing is to a large extent the work of the Schwanthaler family of sculptors. Particulary remarkable is the "Mount of Olives Group" in the "Chapel of Suffering", which is attributed to Thomas Schwanthaler. Inside the church and on the outer south side are large numbers of remarkable Epitaphs set into the wall.
The Baroque Church you see today was built from 1720 to 1734 on the foundations of a Gothic Church. The interior is richly decorated with elaborate works of the Schwanthaler Family of Sculptors.he Gothic remains of the tower foundation and the buttresses of the Presbytery give a small impression of how the original Church must have looked back in time. The 73 meters tall Tower was restored after the great storm of 1929. The most noticeable and striking architectural feature of the Church is the wide barrel vault with its united stucco ceiling in Régence style. There are aisles on both sides of the central nave, each of which features eight guild chapels.
The high altar with tabernacle, the St Florian altar, the pulpit, the statue of Saint Anne, the Pietá and the famous Mount of Olives all are fine works of the Schwanthaler Family of Sculptors. Interesting tombstones can be found in the interior of the Church as well as on its southern facade.
Please get in touch for more information.