The village of Roßbach has an eventful history to look back on, marked by noble counts, splendid mansions, and dreaded robber barons.
The counts of Roßbach appeared as early as the 11th century. A tall mansion stood on the hill by the church. This is where the Maierhof, the "steward’s estate" once stood and is now the site of Hofbauersölde Roßbach (Roßbach estate farmer’s smallholding) No. 11.
In 1149, Roßbach came into the possession of the robber baron Erchenbert de Petra Stein.
In 1220, Ludwig von Hagenau took ownership of the estates in Roßbach.
Albert Peck lived in the manor from 1517. He is also buried here.
In 1680, Lady Elisabeth von Dietrichstein took over the estate. She later married the Count of Wartberg, the ruler of Aspach.
The modern-day village of Grünau used to be home to a mansion that was built out of stone following the topography of Wenning. It was surrounded by ponds and protected by drawbridges. After being heavily damaged by earthquakes, the mansion was knocked down along with its chapel. The material was used to build the estate farm in Grünau.
You’ll also find noble residences in the villages of Rödham and Ursprung.
The municipal coat of arms was conferred on the municipality of Roßbach by the Upper Austrian Regional Government in 1972.
Today, the centre of the village is dominated by the Gothic parish church, which is dedicated to St. James.
The church was originally a chapel belonging to the manor; it was built in 1140 and later renovated in Baroque style. The stucco was created by Johann Michael Vierthaler.
The Heimkehrerkapelle ("homecomer chapel") and the private Heimatmuseum (local history museum) are also worth a visit.
You can leave all your cares behind exploring the sign-posted hiking routes that mostly lead through forest.
Water lovers should check out the nearby Therme Geinberg thermal spa resort, the Aspach climatic and Kneipp health resort, and, in the summer, the Wildenau bathing lake.
Sports and leisure facilities
The tennis complex was established in 1994 and consists of two tennis courts.
The adjoining children’s playground and the club house complete the complex perfectly.
Beach volleyball court
The volleyball court was set up next to the tennis court in the summer of 2007 with a great deal of assistance from the young people of Roßbach.
There is a newly built fun court next to the primary school, which can be used for ball games and other sports activities.
Fitness trail area
A practice area for warming up and stretching exercises was created right by the parish church in 2010. The area provides descriptions of how to perform the exercises and use the equipment, which is easy to operate.
Being family and child-friendly is a top priority in the community of Roßbach.
There is a fantastic ca. 1,700m² playground for families right in the heart of the village. The Roßbach river also flows through this area. It is very shallow where it runs through the play area, making it perfect for children to splash around and have fun in.
- Inhabitants: 957
- Area: 15 km²
- Altitude (from): 442m ASL
- Altitude (to): 442m ASL
- Longitude: 13.251399993896484
- Latitude: 48.200364792526386