© Beobachterin_c_Tourismusverband s'Innviertel_Tom Son
© Beobachterin_c_Tourismusverband s'Innviertel_Tom Son
Frua steht auf Aussichtsturm und schuat mit Gucker in das Europareservat Unterer Inn

the s'Innviertel



Waldzell, Oberösterreich, Österreich
The Grafenstein is the southernmost and most important of the 25 Austrian-Bavarian boundary stones still standing on the current municipal border between Waldzell and Redleiten, Frankenburg, Fornach and Pöndorf. They also form the district boundary between the Innviertel and Hausruckviertel.

From 1437 to 1779, this was also the state border between the Kingdom of Bavaria and the Archduchy of Austria. Maria Theresa ruled the Archduchy of Austria with her son Josef II and in Bavaria Elector Karl Theodor von der Pfalz succeeded Elector Maximilian III Josef, who died childless in 1777. This border was very controversial throughout the 18th century, and a clear demarcation was only agreed in October 1770 between Count Johann Ludwig II Khevenhüller von Frankenburg and the Bavarian district court of Friedburg, whose caretaker from 1762-1779 was Josef Ferdinand, Count of Rheinstein and Tattenbach.

According to the boundary description by court clerk Johann Nißl from Friedburg, the boundary stones that had been in Forstern since 1601 were finally moved. The boundary stones have an engraved G.F. for Grafschaft Frankenburg on the Austrian side and L.F. for Landgericht Friedburg on the Bavarian side. The coat of arms can still be recognised on some of the stones today. Once the stones had been set, they were only valid as sovereign borders for a few years, as the Peace of Teschen ended the Bavarian War of Succession in 1779 and the Innviertel was awarded to Austria. Between 1805 and 1809, Napoleon Bonaparte occupied our homeland several times, and from 1809 it was temporarily under Bavarian administration until the Innviertel finally became Austrian in 1816.

The memorial consists of three concrete armchairs with a columnar backrest, which stand around the Grafenstein in the respective municipal area. At the top of the 180cm high armchairs is the respective municipal coat of arms and below it the name of the municipality in green HPL letters cast in concrete. The seats and backrests are fitted with oak posts. An information board (120 x 70cm) explains the historical background. An aluminium box with a guest book is attached to a tubular post on the information board.

For tourists, the Grafenstein can only be reached on foot, as all access routes are forest roads that are not open to general traffic. The routes are not (yet) signposted.
1) From Hocheck on the Klauskopfstraße to the Hirschzunge approx. 3.5 km
2) From Hocheck via Heuweg > Kalteis > Hirschzunge 4.5 km
3) From Seppenröth (Fornach) forest path Haselnußstaude (poorly signposted) 2.5 km
4.) Round Hocheck > Grafenstein > Kalteis >Hocheck 8 km
5) Moos (Pöndorf) > Meisterholz > Kalteis > Hirschzunge 5.5 km
6) Guided hikes are offered by Hans Hermandinger for school classes, clubs, groups etc.

  • always open (24/7)
  • open to the public

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • Free entry
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn

Please get in touch for more information.


4924 Waldzell

mobile +43 664 9221510
E-Mail hermandinger@inext.at
Web www.innviertel-tourismus.at/sinnvie…

Contact person
Mr Johann Hermandinger
4924 Waldzell

mobile +43 664 9221510
E-Mail hermandinger@inext.at
Web www.innviertel-tourismus.at/sinnviertel-erleben/sport-freizeit.html

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA